Animal Attendant I
Location: San Antonio, TX
Job ID: 7465
Full/Part Time: Part Time
The University of Texas at San Antonio is a Hispanic Serving University specializing in cyber, health, fundamental futures, and social-economic development. With more than 34,000 students, it is the largest university in the San Antonio metropolitan region. UTSA advances knowledge through research and discovery, teaching and learning, community engagement and public service. The university embraces multicultural traditions and serves as a center for intellectual and creative resources as well as a catalyst for socioeconomic development and the commercialization of intellectual property—for Texas, the nation and the world.
UTSA, situated in a global city that has been a crossroads of peoples and cultures for centuries, values diversity and inclusion in all aspects of university life. As an institution expressly founded to advance the education of Mexican Americans and other underserved communities, our university is committed to ending generations of discrimination and inequity. UTSA, a premier public research university, fosters academic excellence through a community of dialogue, discovery and innovation that embraces the uniqueness of each voice.
Posting End Date
Applications will be accepted through 11:59 PM CDT on 03/06/2022. At the discretion of the hiring department, this position posting may close once a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
Salary Range: $31,200 annualized.
Hours per Week
Non-Exempt: 40 hours a week
Required Application Materials
• Resume is required.
• Cover Letter is preferred.
Provide for the care of experimental animals with primary emphasis placed on minimizing experimental variables relating to animal health and sanitation.
• Responsible for the care and cleaning of equipment and facilities along with the care and observation of the animals.
• Provide daily husbandry of laboratory animals to include observation of animals, handling, and restraint, feeding and watering, changing cages/racks, and sanitizing animal quarters and equipment in compliance with Federal regulations.
• Operates and/or uses supplies and equipment necessary to perform the husbandry duties.
• Provides daily record keeping for animals, room environments, and consumable supplies.
• Prepares and uses disinfectants and detergents; mixes medications according to specific instructions; and administers measured amount of laboratory diet to a variety of animal species.
• Closely observes animal behavior; applies identification on various species; obtains laboratory samples from newly arrived animals for parasitic and bacterial analysis; and transports animals, bulk feed, and bedding material within the facility.
• Performs minor maintenance and repair of existing equipment.
• May assist in performing necropsies and in preparing animals for surgery.
• Promote a culture of safety and environmental protection by working in a safe manner; immediately reporting unsafe situations, spills, and accidents; following University safety plans/procedures/protocols; and participating in appropriate safety training.
• Demonstrates UTSA core values: Integrity, Excellence, Inclusiveness, Respect, Collaboration, and Innovation.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• High school graduate or equivalent
• Ability to obtain ALAT Certification within 18 months of the date of employment.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
• Basic computer data entry skills.
• Operation of cage and rack washers, tunnel-type cage washers, conventional and passthrough autoclaves and other allied equipment.
• Personal computer and other standard office equipment.
• Possibility of animal bites and scratches.
• May work near biohazard conditions while handling animals.
• Rotating weekend or holiday duty.
• Prolonged stooping, lifting, and standing.
• Must be able to lift 50 lb. bags of feed.
This position will be primarily located:
On Campus: Primary work location will be on campus.
• UTSA is a tobacco free campus.
• This is a security sensitive position. Employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
• Applicants selected must be able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States by time of hire.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, it is the policy of The University of Texas at San Antonio to promote and ensure equal employment opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information, and veteran status. The University is committed to the Affirmative Action Program in compliance with all government requirements to ensure nondiscrimination. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. UTSA campuses are accessible to persons with disabilities.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to https://apptrkr.com/2831291